Historically, the region called Mewat got its name from the term “Meos”. The Muslim inhabitants of Mewat were called as Meos. According to the great epic Mahabharata (900 BCE), the area was presented to teacher Dronacharya by Yudhishthira, the eldest Pandava king. After sometime it went into the hands of Maurya dynasty followed by the other invaders like Parthian, Kushan and Yaudheya. During different periods of time the place was ruled by different rules. When Timur invaded in 1398 CE, Bahadur Nahar at that time known as Sonpar Pal, of Hindu Jadu clan was the prominent king of the area, who built the famous fort called Kotla Bahadur Nahar located near the Kotla lake at Kotla village the place of Nuh. After sometime in 1355 Sonpar Pal converted to Islam and thus he got a new name, Raja Nahar Khan from Sultan Firuz Shah Tughlaq. Soon after the down fall of Tughlaq dynasty in the year 1398, Nahar Khan reconciled with Timur. During the ruling period of Khanzada Feroz Khan, the grandson of Nahar Khan in 1420, the region was captured by Sultan Khizr Khan of Delhi from the Sayyid dynasty. Hasan Khan Mewati, a descendant of the Raja Nahar Khan who fought the Battle of Khanwa sided with the Rajput king named Rana Sanga but they were defeated in the hand of Mughal emperor, Babur in which even Hassan Khan Mewati was killed also. After that time the Mughal rule was started in this place. The Mughal ruler, Aurangzeb ruled the area for a long period. After the death of Aurangzeb, the two prominent places of the northern part, Bahadurgarh and Farrukhnagar were automatically went into the hands of the Baloch nawabs. At that time the south part including Nuh were under the rule of the great Jat king of Bharatpur State called Maharaja Suraj Mal. In the late 18th century during the rule of Maratha Empire the area was overpowered by the French generals. Finally, Mewat was emerged as a separate district in the map of Haryana state on 4th April, 2005.
Saleem Ahmed Lalli (S.A. Lalli) is the author and Professor of Economics at Shaheed Bhagat Singh College in the University of Delhi. Qazi Syed (Saiyid) Mohammad Ashraf, an eminent ulama and faqih was a very influential person in Mewat.
Geographically, the district has a total 1,507 sq. km. area and occupies the rank 16th in State and 544th in India on the bases of this size. It lies at the 28012'N latitude, 77003'E longitude and 199 m altitude. In the year 2019, there was a total 7.38% forest area of total geographical area. It is bounded by Gurgaon district on the North, Rewari district on the West and Faridabad and Palwal districts on the East. The soil of the district is light and sandy. It comes under the sub tropical area. National Highway 1 passes through the district. The climate of the district is quite similar to the other north Indian places. The climate of the district remains extremely hot in the summers and fairly cold in the winters. Most of its rainfall occurs in the monsoon season. The actual rainfall in the district was 525.8 mm in the year of 2018-19.
Administration wise, the district has 4 sub-districts, 8 towns and 439 villages. Hindi is its official language. The administrative headquarters of the district is located at Nuh, situated at a distance of 323 kms from the State Capital.
Demographically, according to the 2011 census, the district has a total number of 1,57,020 households with a total of 10,89,263 comprising 5,71,162 are males and 5,18,101 are females and causing it to rank 12th in the state and 420th in India. The density of population of the district is 723 persons per sq km. The sex ratio is pegged at 907 females for every 1000 males while the child ratio stands at 906 females per 1000 males. The schedule caste population of the district is recorded as 75,251 including 39,743 are males and 35,508 are females. According to 2011 census the principal languages in the district is Hindi with 73.94%. In the year 2017 the number of live births in the district was 42,322 including 22,224 were males and 20,098 were females. In the same year the number of deaths in the district was 4,689 including 2,992 were males and 1,697 were females. As per 2011 census the major religions in the district are Muslim and Hindu with 79.20% and 20.37% of the total population. The population growth rate during the period 2001 to 2011 was 37.93% including 37.32% were males and 38.60% were females.
Economically, agriculture is the prime source of income here for the people of the district. Income from milk is another main source of income. It is considered as a backward district. MMTC factory is located here in the Rojka-Meo industrial estate. The GDDP or Gross District Domestic Product during the period 2005-06 was Rs. 2,20,505 lakh at Current Price and Rs. 1,73,352 lakh at Constant Prices during the period 1999-2000. The NDDP or Net District Domestic Product during the period 2005-06 was Rs. 2,03,958 lakh at Current Price and Rs. 1,59,926 lakh at Constant Prices during the period 1999-2000. The Per Capita Income or NDDP, at factor cost during the period 2005-06 was Rs. 18,575 lakh at Current Price and Rs. 10,980 lakh at Constant Prices during the period 1999-2000.
Education wise, according to 2011 census, the literacy rate in the district is 54.08% out of which 69.94% are males and 36.6% are females. The total literate population of the district is 4,54,897 including 3,08,435 are males and 1,46,462 are females. Shaheed Hasan Khan Mewati is a Government Medical College. The University provides various undergraduate courses and medical education (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery). The college is accredited by the Medical Council of India. The name of the main colleges in Mewat is Chandrawati College of Education, Mewat Engineering College, Rao Adal Singh college of Education, S.D. Mewat Institute of Engineering and Technology, Sherawat Degree College of Education, Shri Shanti Sagar Jain Girls College of Education and Saraswati Vidhya Mandir College, etc.
The district has some famous historical and religious tourist places to visit. These places are Tomb of Sheikh Musa, Nallad. The Tomb of Sheikh Musa is situated in Nah city. It was constructed in the 14th century. Sheikh Musa was the grandson of Mohammed Farid who came to the Neh city in the search of peace. It is a combination of Mughal and Rajput style. Due to the lack of maintenance the tomb is decaying slowly and gradually. The ruins of Hathor Temple are located nearby the tomb of Sheikh Musa. Hathor is an ancient Egyptian goddess. Nalhar Pandava Shiva Reservoir and Nalhar Shiva Temple are also situated here. There is also a natural reservoir. A temple of Lord Shiva is also located here. It has U shape. Natives believe that Pandavas stayed here and prayed to Lord Shiva. There is also a tank called Chui Mal Ka Talaab or Chui Mal's. It is rectangular in shape. It was constructed in the 19th century.