Kullu district is a district of Himachal Pradesh state with its administrative headquarters located at Kullu town. The Kullu valley, popularly known as the Valley of the Gods is the largest valley in the district. The term ‘Kullu’ is believed to have been taken from the word ‘Kuluta’ which was found inscribed on a coin from the 1st century A.D. The first king of this region mentioned it in the historical record is Virayasa whose name figures on that coin as ‘Virayasa, King of Kuluta. Naggar Castle, situated at a distance of 12 km. approx north of the present day’s town is the seat of the kings of Kullu during the ancient period of time. Furthermore, this castle was constructed by Raja Sidh Singh in the early and thought to have been built in the early 17th century. After some time Raja Jagat Singh (1637-72) came into power and moved its capital to a place called Sultanpur in the middle of the 17th century. At that time the Royal compound comprises the Rupi Palace, several temples and a long narrow bazaar descending the hill. During the era of the Mughal rule, the place of Kullu was subject to the suzerainty of the Mughal emperors and also used to pay tribute to them. In 1846 the Sikhs of this place was defeated in the hands of the British and then they captured all of Kangra and Kullu. Till today also the royal descendants use the place as their home, but unfortunately the most prestigious ancient Naggar Castle was sold to the British. Kullu as a separate district came into existence in the year 1966.
Geographically, the district lies at 31096'N latitude, 77011'E longitude and 1278 m Altitude. In the year 2019, there was a total 35.91% forest area of total geographical area. The district encompasses a geographical area of 5,503 sq kms and it is bounded by Lahaul and Spiti district on the North and East, Shimla district on the South, Kangra district on the North West and Mandi district on the South West. The climate of the district remains pleasant throughout the year. Most of its rainfall occurs in the monsoon season. The actual rainfall in the district was 1184.7 mm in the year of 2018-19.
Administration wise, the district is divided into 4 sub-divisions namely Kullu, Anni, Banjar and Manali. Moreover, it comprises 6 sub-districts, 5 towns and 326 villages. The administrative language in the district is Hindi.
According to 2011 census the district has a population of 4,37,903 out of which 2,25,452 are males and 2,12,451 are females. The district has a sex ratio of 942 (females for every 1000 males. In the year 2001-2011 the population growth rate in the district was 14.76% including 13.86% were males and 15.74% were females. As per 2011 census the major religion in the district is Hindu with 94.92% of the total population. As per 2011 census the principal languages in the district are Hindi and Kashmiri with 80.87% and 10.41%. The population density in the district is 80 persons per sq. km. In the year 2017 the number of live births in the district was 6,011 out of which 3,021 were males and 2,988 were females. In the same year the number of deaths in the district was 2,419 out of which 1,473 were males and 946 were females.
Agriculture is the backbone of the economy of the district. Most of the lands in the district are use for agricultural purposes. More than half of its population are engaged in agriculture in order to earn their livelihood. The chief agricultural products in the district are apple, plum, pears, kiwi, almonds, wheat, etc. The adoption of the new agricultural technologies amongst the famers of the district helps to increase the production of various agricultural items. Every year a huge chunk of revenue comes from the agricultural products in the district helps in its economy to a great extent. The district is famous for apple orchards and kullu shawl. But the district is scantily industrialised since it has only a few agro based industries. In the year 2015-2016 the gross domestic product in the district was Rs. 6,52,072 lakh at current price in the year 2011-2012. In the year 2015-16 the net domestic product in the district was Rs. 5,43,594 lakh at current price in the year 2011-2012. In the year 2015-2016 the Per Capita Income was in Rs. 1,19,231 at Current Price in the year 2011-2012.
The district is well known as an abode of several reputed educational institutions. It provides a platform for higher education. As per 2011 census the literacy rate in the district is 79.4% including 87.39% are males and 70.91% are females. The district has a literates of 3,07,672 including 1,74,550 are males and 1,33,122 are females.
The district has several centres of attraction which allures many travellers from different parts of the country as well as world. Raghunath Temple located in the district is associated with an interesting story. In the 17th century, Raja Jagat Singh of Kullu committed a great sin and in order to atone it he sent a senior courtier to Ayodhya to bring a statue of Lord Raghunath or Lord Rama. Finally, he built a temple to establish the statue of Lord Raghunath. Every year a large of pilgrims from far off places come to this temple in order to offer their prayers. Shringi Rishi Temple, situated at a distance of almost 60 km. from Kullu is the ruling deity of Banjar valley. Moreover, before the emergence of Lord Rama into Kullu valley from Ayodhya Puri, Lord Shringi was the ruling deity of Kullu. Kais Dhar , a place in the district with grass meadows, densely forested mountains and mesmerising natural sceneries. Some other notable places of interest in the district are Hidimba temple, Naggar, Basheshwar Mahadev temple, Bijli Mahadev Temple, Maha Devi Tirth Temple and many more.