Dhubri district is a district of Assam state with its administrative headquarters located at Dhubri town. The district got its name from its headquarters town Dhubri. An interesting tale is associated with the name of the place. According to the story Netai Dhubuni used to wash her clothes on the surface of a big stone at bank of the Brahmaputra River. So, earlier the place was called as "Netai Dhubunir Ghat" but with the passage of time the name of the place was changed to Dhubri. On the other hand, according to Bodo-Kacharis, the word has a Bodo origin as it derived from the term Dubra meaning a kind of grass. In the ancient period a rebellion led by the Ahom king Chakradhwaj Singha was started against the Mughals. Thus, in 1669 AD Emperor Aurangzeb appointed Raja Ram Singh of Amber to crush the rebellion. And for that mission Raja Ram Singh requested Guru Teg Bahadur to accompany him because he knew that to operate such a mission in the state like Assam was a difficult task. Actually Aurangzeb deputed Ram Singh for this operation, in order to punish him since a few years earlier Shivaji and his son had escaped from his custody. Until 1874, the place of Dhubri was mostly a part of the Bengal kings. In the year 1874, the British Government formed a new province and named it Assam Valley Province which later incorporated in the Goalpara district area including three civil sub-divisions namely Dhubri, Goalpara and Kokrajhar with the new Assam Province. Then in 1879, the district headquarters was changed from Goalpara to Dhubri town. After sometime the town of Dhubri falls under the jurisdiction of the district of Dhubri whose headquarters is at town Dhubri. Dhubri, popularly known as the gateway of western Assam was the place where people of different racial groups used to meet and mingled together which led to the formation of a unique cultural heritage in this place. The Dhubri district came into existence on 1st July, 1983.
Rebati Mohan Dutta Choudhury, a distinguished Assamese litterateur and academician was born in the year 1924 at Gauripur in the Dhubri district. He was honoured by the most prestigious Sahitya Akademi Award in 1994. He is also popularly known by his pen name, Sheelabhadra.
Geographically, the district lies at 26002'N latitude, 89099'E longitude and 30 m Altitude. In the year 2019, there was a total 4.52% forest area of total geographical area. The district encompasses a geographical area of 2,176 sq km. and it is bounded by Kokrajhar district on the North, Bangladesh and Meghalaya on the South, Goalpara district and Bongaigaon district on the East and West Bengal and Bangladesh on the West. The climate of the district remains pleasant almost throughout the year. Most of its rainfall occurs in the monsoon season. The actual rainfall in the district was 1987.9 mm in the year of 2018-19.
Administration wise, the district is divided into 3 sub-divisions namely Bilasipara, Dhubri (Sadar) and South Salmara-Hatsingimari. Moreover, it comprises 9 sub-districts, 9 towns and 1,091 villages. There are 1 Parliamentary Constituencies and 7 Assembly Constituencies in the district. The administrative languages in the district are Assamese and English.
According to 2011 census the district has a population of 19,49,258 out of which 9,97,848 are males and 9,51,410 are females. The district has a sex ratio of 953 (females for every 1000 males) and child ratio of 968 (females per 1000 males). During the year 2001-2011 the population growth rate in the district was 19.05% including 18.64% were males and 19.48% were females. As per 2011 census the major religion in the district is Muslim with 79.67% of the total population. The population density in the district is 896 (persons per sq. km.). According to 2011 census the principal languages in the district are Assamese and Bengali with 66.31% and 29.59%. In the year 2017 the number of live births in the district was 51,564 including 27,853 were males and 23,711 were females. In the same year the number of deaths in the district was 6,396 including 3,697 were males and 2,699 were females.
The economy of the district is mainly based on agriculture and forestry. Most of the people of the district are engaged in agriculture in order to earn their livelihood. The chief agricultural products in the district are jute, mustard seed, wheat, maize, pulses, sugar cane, tea, etc. The adoption of the new agricultural technologies amongst the farmers of the district helps to increase the production of various agricultural items. Every year a huge chunk of revenue comes from the agricultural products helps in its economy to a great extent. The forestry product like timber and bamboo add an extra income to its economy. The contribution of the tea gardens into its economy is remarkable. In the year 2009-2010 the gross domestic product in the district was Rs. 2,72,946 lakh at Current Price and Rs. 1,98,362 lakh at Constant Prices in the year 2004-2005. The Net Domestic Product in the district during the period 2007-08 was Rs. 1,91,636 lakh at Current Price and Rs. 1,44,710 lakh at Constant Prices in the year 1999-2000. The Per Capita Income or NDDP, At Factor Cost in the district during the period 2007-08 was Rs. 12,020 at Current Price and Rs. 9,077 at Constant Prices in the year 1999-2000.
The district is well known as an abode of several reputed educational institutions. It provides a platform for higher education. Some of its reputed educational institutions are B. N. College or Bholanath College, Chilarai College, Pramathesh Barua College, Dhubri B. T. College, etc. As per 2011 census the literacy rate in the district is 58.34% including 63.1% are males and 53.33% are females. The total number of literates in the district is 9,22,341 including 5,11,551 are males and 4,10,790 are females. The total number of illiterates in the district is 10,26,917 including 4,86,297 are males and 5,40,620 are females.
The district has several centres of attraction which allures many travellers from different parts of the country as well as world. Mahamaya Dham, located at Bogribari about 35 km. away in the eastern part of the Dhubri town is considered as a pious place like Kamakhya in Guwahati and Madan-Mohan in Cooch Behar. Pilgrims from far off places comes to this place to offer their prayers. Rangamati Mosque, constructed in the pre-Mughal period is situated at a distance of 25 km. from the Dhubri town. At that time the main purpose behind building this distinctive mosque was to offer a prayer place to their soldiers. Sikh Gurudwara, located at the centre of the Dhubri town was established by ninth Sikh Guru Tegh Bahadur. Ramraikuti Satra, situated at border of the Indo-Bangladesh and West Bengal at the Satrasal of the Dhubri district is a sacred place established by Shree Sankaradeva in order to propagate the Satriya culture in this area. Some other notable places of interest in the district are Panchpeer Dargah, Chakrasila Wildlife Sanctuary, Florican Garden, etc.